Tuesday, May 29, 2007

People

I've never really understood what makes people the way they are. I've been working with the general public for the last 5 years, and I just don't get it.

I had a customer on Sunday who was obviously going through a mid-life crisis. He wanted the 'coolest' of everything, I didn't bother telling him that he was talking to the squarest of the square. He and his wife just couldn't say 'no' to anything that this young buck was putting in front of them. The couple just seemed generally happy to be alive, nothing really seemed to phase them. They ended up walking out the door with more than $1,200 in merchandise.

Then there are some people that you have to really work at. I had another couple, about the same age as the above mentioned, who were the sourest most ill-mannered people I've met in a long time. They ended up leaving with $0 in merchandise because nothing we had was perfect enough or cheap enough for them...kind of an oxy moron don't you think?

Maybe eventually I'll be able to look at someone and read them perfectly. Until then, I'll just have to keep on plugging away. I'll celebrate the good ones, and hopefully forget all about the bad ones.

1 comment:

Kim said...

You are the squarest of the square and I love you for it. Good luck on figuring people out. I haven't been able to. One of my fav customers ended up going to jail for rape and some of the most difficult customers just needed some TLC.